atarionline.pl ATARI XE vs C64 - Forum Atarum

Jeśli chcesz wziąć udział w dyskusjach na forum - zaloguj się. Jeżeli nie masz loginu - poproś o członkostwo.

• :
  • :

Vanilla 1.1.4 jest produktem Lussumo. Więcej informacji: Dokumentacja, Forum.

• 1: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime15 Sep 2019 zmieniony

The Fender

"Real 3D" isn't even running on most modern PCs. But it's close.
    Nitpicking doesn't help also. Wolfenstein 3D was named 3d because the presentation is 3d. Yes, we know, Quake really did the step to have real 3D movement.
    Well, wait, real 3D Movement. When did Starraiders appear ? 1979? And look how fluent this thing is.

3D Projection is the only relevant for 8 bit "3D" games, but they did break with that in 1979 already ;)

There are also other games on the Atari available that show very good and fluent enough 3D Projections to fit to a game.
    Wayout! , Encounter, Dimension X ...

Turning things into a more Raster tricks using Game with most possible CPU speed and copied screen content, for a "perfect" 3D presentation for the gameplay, is the final task.
    • 2:

CommentAuthorTheFender
    • CommentTime15 Sep 2019

emkay:

3. The Amiga isn't too slow for that type of games. It is approved several times.

Unfortunately I must to say this: yes, she is to slow. Amiga even with turbocard is too slow for convinient 3d gaming. And therefore there are no real opponents to PC games this kind.
    And I wrote this as ex Amiga user (but Amiga is still in my heart).

I know that Wold3D is not real 3d and this algorithm is named raycaster.

We are all waiting for fullversion of Atari's8bit raycaster like Wolf which demo looks better than on any Amiga without turbo :)
    • 3: CommentAuthorrbej1977

IRATA4

"Commodore jest ogólnie offline ."

Chciałbym żeby małe Atari było takie offline jeśli chodzi o obecne i nadchodzące produkcje jak C64.

"z tego co zaobserwowałem to cały czas Atari zalicza niezły progres"

Pokaż mi PEŁNE wersje NOWYCH gier na Atari, które zanotowały niezły progres. Same technologiczne demka z których 99,9% pozostanie demami. Z każdym rokiem przewaga C64 rośnie i NIC nie zapowiada żeby cokolwiek się miało zmienić. Po cholerę zakłamywać rzeczywistość??. Przywiązanie i ślepa miłość do marki to jedno a rzeczywistość to drugie.
    • 4: CommentAuthorRocky

C64 morduje Atari w:
    - sprity
    - mapa kolorów
    - 256 znaków w zestawie

Atari może się bronić:
    - szybszym cpu
    - większą paletą kolorów + tryby
    - większą ilością RAMu w zasadzie w standardzie

W jakich gatunkach gier może Atari konkurować:
    - wektory i pseudo 3d
    - rozbudowane światy (dużo pamięci)
    - może pinballe i wyścigówki typu lotus
    ... inne ???

Atari w platformówkach i strzelankach nie ma dużych szans..
    • 5: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime15 Sep 2019

Rocky

There Are still undiscovered waters on the Atari.
    If a coder decided to do a vertical only scroller, Games could look far better than any C64 game. Also the fact that DL changing game with PM Multiplexing has never been done. A game like Axelay really could be done on the Atari.
    And, as the Sub Hunter Demo shows, it is not needed to look bad in horizontal shooters.
    Just allow Character Mode movement, where the CPU isn't sufficient enough. Other stuff can be tricked with character cycling , re using, and Displaylist manipulations.
    • 6:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

Do 3D polecam PlayStation,a jak jeszcze ktoś lubi się bać to lepszego combo nie znajdzie
    • 7: CommentAuthorkski
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019 zmieniony

@rbej1977 Konkurowanie z C64 na ilość nowych gier nie ma sensu, oni tworzą je komercyjnie za niemałą kasę. My tylko hobbistycznie dla nieporównywalnie mniejszego grona odbiorców. Pretensje do ludzi związanych z Atari że nie rzucą normalnego życia i nie poświęcą się całkowicie tworzeniu gier nie miały by sensu.
    To nie znaczy że nie powstaje NIC, FQ jest na ukończeniu i NG pracuje nad nową tym razem oryginalną produkcją, a biorąc pod uwagę jakość ich dotychczasowych produkcji może być hit. Będzie Albert za kilka miesięcy. Było też kilka ciekawych innych w przestrzeni ostatniego roku których nie będę już wymieniał.
    Oceniając prace powstające na atari należy spojrzeć z innej perspektywy, również demka technologiczne które nie kończą się grą są pożyteczne, i dobrze prawi Irata że poziom się podnosi.

@Emkay what do you mean "DL changing game with PM multiplexing has never been done".
    Everybody do vertical PM multiplexing on atari. Horizontal although possible is very limited in functionality and not useful as you waste all CPU time in dli.
    "A game like Axelay really could be done". This is some idea.
    Are there no games with vertical scrolling on C64?

Pytanie do specjalistów, czy dałoby się jakoś zrobić na Atari wiersz w trybie 4 (kolorowe znaki) który miałby mniej niż 8 linii? Czyli nie całe znaki byłyby widoczne.
    A pod nim od razu kolejny wiersz bez przerw, a do tego jeszcze włączony scroll pionowy.
    Przypuszczam że nie ale spytam.
    • 8: CommentAuthortebe

:) pzecież tryb 4++ jest już dostępny w G2F

tworzy się go podobną metodą jak 9++, 10++

->link<-

G2F -> Special -> Mode -> DLI+

w CDrug dwa efekty korzystały z tego trybu, dither plasma i ditherowany twister

w załączniku źródełka
    • 9: CommentAuthorkski
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

Dzięki, jako jak widać wciąż nowy w temacie nieograniczonych (no prawie) możliwości Antica nie wiedziałem. Przestudiuję to może się przydać w nowych projektach.
    • 10: CommentAuthoremkay

kski

About you question "vertical" Scrolling.

Vertical Scrolling comes absolutely free on the Atari. That's why a lot other manipulations can be done to work around the missing features.

Have a look at this one. The game is final but never released for no known issue.

And here is a hardware scroller that resembles Mode 7 from the SNES.

Just for some additional impression.
    • 11:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

this game from the first video is from c64 ?
    • 12: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

TheFender

About Yoomp on the Amiga.

Do you really think that a machine that can do what you see in the video (no Video reduce just like on the ST) is not able to have a "Yoomp Amiga" available?

• 13: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

Irata4
    Ofcourse on the Atari.
    C64 is not able to have such visual depth in the scroller.
    • 14:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

@emkay
    ok, the colors confused me
    • 15:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

35:20 - nice and smooth 3d for Mega Drive
    • 16:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

@emkay
    you have access to this unreleased vertical scrool Atari game ?
    Who make this ?
    • 17: CommentAuthorkski

If we speak about vertical atari hardware scrolling always complete rows are scrolled. Pseudo parallax scroll efect on first movie can be easily created by modifying chars/charsets. On both Atari and C64. Showing the same simple background scrolling in any direction is easy on both machines.
    • 18:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime16 Sep 2019

fatal animation
    • 19: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

IRATA4
    I don't have enough information to judge about the quality and difference of the "3D part" in Toy Story.
    Surely a lot A8 coders would blame the engine to use a lot trickery to have running it.
    There are "Sprite Tricks" for sure used.
    Don't forget: Genesis was around 1988, while the Amiga was there around 1985...

On the Amiga you also could add that Sprite Layer.
    Also, the Mega Drive video looks blurred, which is also helping to add to the imagination of a fluent screen handling for the 3D.
    • 20: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

kski

Vertical scrolling is simple on both machines.

The differences are still there:
    The speed of the color RAM isn't funny on the C64. You very often see those "square clashes" , if the engine isn't optimized for that, and if people want to have "50Hz" updates. This is limiting a lot of possibilities.
    On the Atari , using Charmode plus GPRIOR 0 , everything will be updated directly. No waits there.

And there is a speed bonus , if vertical scrolling is used. Due to ANTIC's RAM Access, the DMA Cycle Stealing gets less. In optimal circumstances, the CPU gets faster then.

Multiplexing the PMg isn't that "impossible" anymore. Actually , there would be enough time to double some Players per Scanline.

And there is that side effect on the Atari, to get a better bias on the 8 brightnesses of one color , for the depth impression.
    • 21: CommentAuthorkski
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019 zmieniony

>> Multiplexing the PMg isn't that "impossible" anymore. Actually , there would be enough time to double some Players per Scanline.
    True but you have to do this in every scan line (where players are), means you waste lot of time in dli just waiting (not big problem if no real parallax or program sprites are used), and remember that in some lines (first/last line of new row in character mode) time is very limited. I din't see this so easy, Ok I never tried, maybe some engins like Sub Hunter are using this already? Have you seen working example?
    • 22: CommentAuthorkski

Plus you have to design game the way that there is never more sprites on one side of the screen than limited atari PMG allows.
    Plus by changing only position of the player you don't change it's shape. So it is useless?
    Still don't see dream about horizontal PM multiplexing working in any real game. I really would like to be wrong.
    • 23: CommentAuthorkski

>> And there is a speed bonus , if vertical scrolling is used. Due to ANTIC's RAM Access, the DMA Cycle Stealing gets less. In optimal circumstances, the CPU gets faster then.

faster comparing with no vertical scrolling enabled???
    • 24: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

kski

"faster comparing with no vertical scrolling enabled??? "

Yes.

The problem with "optimized" Graphics and Games on the Atari is to have the right tools to create examples. They simply don't exist.
    At least, it would need to code the Display List on the fly, Sounds hard, but is just no common usage.
    And, you know, Tools mostly follow a common usage.

Doubling the PMg in dedicated ranges is also no problem then, because the DLI Start is always controlled by the DL and the DL Changes.
    • 25: CommentAuthorkski

What Irata4 ment by "fatal animation" is animation in my demo ->link<-
    (I deleted part of my post which Irata4 was already commenting)

Animation is poor but not fatal as for Atari.
    I'm not graphic designer but at least I do something not only talk.
    Make better one I will be glad to use it. Project will be continued in the future.

By the way this demo is combining atari advantages - hardware horizontal scroll and more CPU to make more parallax layers than I have seen on C64 (not using PMG which is only "fatal" animated men).
    • 26: CommentAuthorkski

@emkay looks you are based on some antic theory. But will it work in practise?
    If you give me some more understandable details I can try to implement such dli demo later.
    My email is public.
    • 27:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

@kski
    background animation, parallax effect they are great, but the running character is not, because the character is not running, only the head of the barge is constantly moving in the same line - the figure only moves his legs and hand, this is not how the run's looks...
    • 28:

CommentAuthorCOR/ira4
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

put a character from Prince of Persja or Segowski Pitfall next to your guy and see the differences :-)
    • 29: CommentAuthorkski
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

Irata, you right, but repeating, please make better animation, you have contact to me.
    Project will be continued and I will be glad to use it.
    • 30:

CommentAuthormaly_swd
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

Możecie przełączyć na język PL. Ja "Я ничего не понимаю"
    • 31: CommentAuthorPecet
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

za to "Segowski Pitfall" wpleciony w zdanie w języku angielskim brzmi cudownie:)
    • 32: CommentAuthorgorgh
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

Nie ma to jak dyskusja po angielsku ludzi, którzy co drugie zdanie robią błędy :)
    • 33: CommentAuthorPecet
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

najważniejsze, że się ludzie dogadują.
    • 34: CommentAuthorkski
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

Błąd w co drugim zdaniu to całkiem niezły wynik, przynajmniej nie w co drugim słowie. Poczytaj sobie inne angielskojęzyczne fora. Angielski był użyty ze względu na emkaya.
    Ale ok, fatal animation + fatal english + any other problems?
    • 35: CommentAuthorgorgh
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

"Inne anglojęzyczne fora" to to forum jest anglojęzyczne? :)
    • 36: CommentAuthorkski
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

No nie. W ogóle Kaz pownien wprowadzić zakaz posługiwania się niepoprawnym angielskim na tym forum. Albo wyrzucać delikwentów. Jakoś przeżyję.
    • 37:

CommentAuthorTheFender

@emkay: If I see it on real unexpanded Amiga 500 I'll believe. But based on youtube video I think Atari8bit has a better engine and framerate :) (and compared to 8bit architecture is a killer to Amiga 16bit version).

(ale Grey i tak napisze, że mam klapki na oczach i jestem przypadkiem typowego janusza amigowca)
    • 38:

CommentAuthornogorg

To uruchom sobie
    ->link<-

To video wyżej jest chyba z emulca, bo chodzi za płynnie. To pod linkiem niżej chodzi na A500
    ->link<-
    • 39: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

TheFender
    All "demos" good and nice. But, only a real playable level with at least one enemy would really show something.

Project-M is a nice "Labyrinth game" but for now, it has nothing to do with Wolf 3D.
    If at least a nice PMg object appeared as an overlay, that resembles an enemy....

kski

For now I have no idea where to start.
    Even doing some example in Graph2fnt will not really work. It is not possible to show procedural graphics.
    • 40:

CommentAuthorTheFender
    • CommentTime17 Sep 2019

@emkay: therefore I wrote previously we are waiting for fullversion of this demo.

@nogorg: co to za krap? :D Ale na plus, nieźle chodzi na tej pięścestce i niezły z tego mógłby być rpg. Ale wygląda paskudnie, serio ... Tak mi się wydaje, że w małoatarowskim silniku lepiej jest to zaimplementowane (bo że jest kolorystycznie dobre nie wspomnę).
    • 41: CommentAuthorsolo/ng
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019

ale wam wrzuce fcki za podkrecanie rozmowy z tym lamusem, ktory ciagnie wszystko co zwiazane z atari w dol. special parta w czyms zrobie.
    • 42: CommentAuthorkski
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019 zmieniony

Solo, jeżeli myślimy o tej samej osobie to po prostu próbowałem zrozumieć o co mu chodzi. Jestem tu nowy nie znam ludzi.

Sprawdziłem że w pierwszej linii każdego nowego wiersza trybu tekstowego nie ma czasu na jakąkolwiek multiplikację. Oczywiście zdaję sobie sprawę, że wiecie o tym od dawna, inaczej już by to było dawno zrobione.
    • 43: CommentAuthoremkay

kski

Solo has a personal problem. That's why he is attacking me on and on. He only know himself about it.

So you should take care whom you are listen to.
    • 44: CommentAuthortebe
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019

kski to są badlines, ANTIC w pierwszej linii wiersza dokonuje dekodowania znaków, można to zablokować

G2F -> Special -> Mode -> GED+ -> disable badlines

jaka jest tego cena? ANTIC poprzez zapisy do VSCROLL zostaje zablokowany na odczycie pierwszego wiersza DisplayList, wszystkie linie obrazu będą generowane na tej podstawie

czyli jeśli inwers znaków został ustawiony w bajcie 30 naszego głównego pierwszego wiersza to na całej wysokości ekranu, w każdym wierszu będzie tam ustawiony inwers, bez możliwości jego selektywnego przełączania

w każdym wierszu będą te same kody znaków, bez możliwości ich zmiany, jedyny dostęp do nich będzie poprzez modyfikację generatora znaków, czyli co wiersz zmieniamy zestaw znaków (max 30 dla 30 wierszy) i modyfikujemy jego konkretną lokację

kosztowne, ale możliwe do realizacji :)
    • 45:

CommentAuthornogorg
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019

@The_Fender
    "Ale wygląda paskudnie, serio"

Taki jesteś pewien? To porównaj sobie side-by-side na obrazku wielkości znaczka pocztowego

Project-M jest martwy od 10 lat. Skończył się prostym demie, bo zrobienie z tego jakiejkolwiek gry z sensowniejszą interakcją przekracza poza możliwości Atari.

Cyberwolf tę interakcję już posiada, chociaż do gry która przyciągnęłaby na dłużej to mu jeszcze dużo brakuje.

Jest jeszcze bomba którą szykuje KK/Altair.

Moja sugestia jest taka, by wypowiadać się po nieco głębszym researchu niż wpisanie "amiga 500 wolfenstein" w wyszukiwarce Youtube.
    • 46: CommentAuthorkski

Wiekie dzięki Tebe, z czystej ciekawości warto się pobawić.
    Ale tu pytanie, czy Altirra to wszystko za-emuluje (wyłączanie badlines / 4++, niezależnie - nie w tym samym demie), czy tylko prawdziwe atari?
    • 47: CommentAuthortebe
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019

Altirra emuluje najlepiej
    • 48:

CommentAuthorgreymsb
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019

nogorg:

"Taki jesteś pewien? To porównaj sobie side-by-side na obrazku wielkości znaczka pocztowego"

A może jeszcze mniejszy? ;) Serio, ten screen po lewej jest mega paskudny (na YT wygląda to nieco lepiej, ale ten mały nieruchomy "strzelający fiutek" po środku jest po prostu śmieszny :D
    • 49:

CommentAuthornogorg
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019

Twoim skromnym zdaniem. Skoro ktoś nie odróżnia rozdzielczości, a scanline'y mu nie przeszkadzają to tutaj jedynie okulista pozostaje w ewentualności. Dyskusja jałowa.
    • 50:

CommentAuthorJacques
    • CommentTime18 Sep 2019

Różnica pomiędzy Cyberwolfem a Project-M jest dokładnie taka, jaka powinna być pomiędzy 16-, a 8-bitami.

Teraz pora na Yoompa na A500 (OCS/ECS), żeby pokazał to samo ;-)))